- You Don’t Look Like a Librarian – Ruth Kneales länksamling och bok om bibliotekariestestereotypier.
- Old Maids, Policeman, and Social Rejects: Mass Media Representations and Public Perceptions of Librarians
Maura Seale, Arts and Humanities Librarian, Zumberge Library, Grand Valley State University, Allendale, Michigan, USA
This paper investigates the relationships between mass media representations of librarians and users’ perceptions and consequent use of librarians and libraries by asking three questions:
1. How are librarians depicted by the mass media?
2. How does the public perceive librarians and how might these views relate to mass media representations?
3. What are the potential effects of these representations and perceptions? Representations of librarians by the mass media generally fall into one of five somewhat discrete categories.
Public perceptions of librarians are somewhat different; although librarians are often described in positive terms, there is nearly no awareness as to the knowledge, duties, skills, and education of librarians and, as a consequence, public perceptions draw more heavily on stereotypical representations of librarians’ personalities. Ultimately, librarians and libraries tend not to be effectively utilized, as users remain unaware of librarians’ abilities and responsibilities.
- ”De ser väl ut som vanliga människor, de är ju det” : Bilden av bibliotekarien hos en grupp barn
- Från arg tant med knut till farlig sexbomb − om bibliotekariestereotyper i ord och bild
Paper framlagt av Kerstin Rydbeck vid NIKK:s nordiska kvinnorörelsekonferens i Reykjavik, 10-12 juni 2004, inom sessionen ”Medier och kvinnorörelser”
- Bibliotekariestereotypen i populärkulturen av Richard Ohlsson
- Sex and the Single Librarian by Elizabeth Cohen